The Mandela Effect

 THE MANDELA EFFECT 




  March 1983:  All the  leading newspapers of the world have the important headline of Nelson Mandela's death in prison . Many people remember the event vividly , the clips of his funeral, the mourning in South Africa, the rioting cities and the heartfelt speech of his widow.

There is only one problem with this shared memory, Nelson Mandela died on
 5 December 2013. 

This false memory/ alternate reality is shared not by hundreds but thousands of people .
The Mandela effect is an unusual phenomenon where a large group of people remember something differently than how it occurred. Another famous example of this effect is the Looney toons fiasco . People reported seeing the switch between Looney toons and Looney tunes ( the present name) on many platforms and falsely remember it as Looney toons . The change was not limited to one website but was all over the internet without any reference to Looney tunes. 
As Jennifer CM puts it,

" I literally saw it change from toons to tunes . It was Friday, November 13th, 2015 shortly after 2 pm . I had been reading about Looney toons/tunes conspiracy and remember thinking to myself that I had always seen it as toons . Anyway, I googled looney toons and the first website listed on my search was looneytoons.com . I scrolled down quickly and saw few more references to toons with no reference of ' tunes' then suddenly my computer ' blipped' if I can call it that and everything ( including the first official  website that said toons ) was changed to tunes " 

There are numerous examples of people having false memories like:



"I had a cousin named Jeffrey that no one remembers but me.

He played baseball and I got one of his old shirts as a hand-me-down, which was recycled into a hipster shirt when I started college. One time we visited Jeffrey at his house. There were thistles in the yard, and we needed to get across for some reason, and Jeffrey took off his shoes and let me wear them. I sat on the back steps of Jeffrey's house and listened to him yell while his mom pulled thorns out of his feet.

I even remember the house that cousin Jeffrey lived in. It's still there, and was inhabited by family members at the time, but there was never a Jeffrey."
                                                                           - Mark Smith



"I distinctly remember being really little (7-8) and going to my cousins house, where him and a bunch of his friends were watching My Bosses Daughter with Ashton Kutcher on their big screen tv. I remember picking up the case for the movie and reading the back of it. I remember laughing when everyone else would laugh because I was too young to get the jokes.

Imagine my horror  when the movie comes out in theatres about 5-6 years later."

                                                                                       - Jackson


There are 2 theories that explain false memory experiences .The first one states that when memories are recalled rather than remembering the incident perfectly we are influenced to the point that the memory becomes incorrect and fallible . The other is big for  science fiction fans and states that Mandela Effect happens due to glitches in the system  and we become a part of a ' parallel universe ' . Some people also like to believe that when scientists conduct certain quantum physics experiments , they alter the fabric of our reality . 

We will never know for sure the real reason behind the Mandela Effect 

What's your reasoning ? Have you had any such experience ?



References: www.mandelaeffect.com, www.reddit.com 



       

Comments